Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Raven Photo/Audio Project

Excerpt of The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe Performed by Justin Bankos from Justin Bankos on Vimeo.

This is my very first video as well as my first project for my Digital Storytelling class. The Raven is most definitely one of the most well known stories in the public domain, bringing about feelings of paranoia and anxiety in its readers. This is why I've decided to choose an excerpt from this story, it would allow for some unique and very interesting audio effects like the Raven's tapping or the ambiance underneath the narration. I was going for the character of the narrator to be innocent and stable, to be very undeserving of his eventual guest. But as the raven continues with his taunting, the narrator slowly becomes more and more unstable, eventually giving all he's got at the Raven to make it leave, to stop the bird from referencing the narrator's lost love. There are specific parts where the ambiance is right in the viewer's face, as well as spots where it is barely heard at all. This is important because these are the spots that are really emotionally building, and I played with the audio levels a bit in order to manipulate the mood. Overall, as my first video I was pretty impressed with myself, and the experience that I gained from making this video will assist me in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment